YS110 is not YS110a!

Yet again I learned that one of my assumptions was incorrect. SEA & SEA YS110 and YS110a strobes do not behave the same!

I had a pair of YS110 strobes (original owner, pristine condition, a few cosmetic scratches on the housings,willing to sell...) as well as a pair of the follow-on YS110a's (purchased used on eBay - really hammered, they look like they had been dragged behind a pickup truck for a few miles, I would be embarrassed to re-sell...but they work just fine).

YS110 Calibration - Part 4

I now had a usable method of establishing a YS110 calibration map for my Quench controller. All I had to do was:

  • take a set of pictures at each power setting level
  • compare those pictures to my set of reference pictures
  • adjust my map
  • repeat until happy

As noted in my prior post, it was immediately apparent that my original linear map quickly skewed the low power settings towards "over exposure" (way too much light at the mid range power settings - see below). I had planned to take an iterative approach:

YS110 Calibration - Part 3

I had established a minimum and maximum quench interval for my YS110 (actually I was using a YS110a, but I assumed both models have the same flash tube and capacitor specifications - oops!). All I had to do was replace my linear map with something that reflected the reality of Flashtube discharge curves.

YS110 Calibration - Part 2

The theory behind calibration of my Quench controller was fairly simple: all I needed was to establish a quench delay interval for each setting on the strobe power control. A small table of 13 values was all I needed. Refer back to this post  for a refresher of  quench controller theory.

YS110 Calibration - Part 1

In my previous post 4 wire vs 5 wire ttl strobe on this topic I solved the mystery of controlling a strobe via the Nikonos wired protocol. I just needed to use the extra wire. the next step was to "calibrate" my controller for my new YS110 strobe instead of my YS50 test unit (which I really did not calibrate...).

Drupal Installation Profiles - Part 3 - Roll your own

Trying to hatch your own Drupal Distribution? Or (more likely, like me) are you going through an iterative prototyping exercise? Time to create your own Drupal Installation Profile

This article How to Write a Drupal 7 Installation Profile provides some background information. Drupal 7 core provides 2 generic examples that you can examine:

Drupal Installation Profiles - Part 2 - Distributions

At first glance Drupal Installation Profiles may seem a little complex, scary or even overkill for your world. But fear not. They can be tamed. At this point I think it makes sense to step back and examine the use of Installation Profiles. They are not as esoteric as you may have imagined. They are a fundamental Drupal mechanism employed by things you are likely already familiar with: Distributions.

Drupal Installation Profiles - Part 1

When prototyping or investigating a new concept it is common to wander down the wrong path since by definition you are are in uncharted waters. There is generally more than 1 way to address a problem and Drupal often provides several slightly (or radically) different contributed modules for any area of interest. Going down the wrong path is all part of the learning curve. You will make mistakes. And have to start over from scratch. Hopefully you are getting smarter. This learning process often means that you need to wipe what you have done and start over from a known point.

MySQL - utf8 is not really utf8

Turns out that utf8 is not really utf8. I was using Drupal 7 and MySQL and started to encounter a strange error when saving some captured user input. This was the reported error symptom

SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x98\x8D H...' for column 'field_raw_content_value' at row 1

 

A quick Google search led me (incorrectly) down the path of trying to "clean" my data. My assumption was that the end user was somehow providing corrupt utf8 data. A few sample hits are:

Free Website Monitoring Tools

I wanted a cheap (free) and simple way to perform basic website monitoring on a handful of urls. So I googled and blindly started signing up.My first page of search hits was full of reasonable contenders so I concluded that actual use would be the determining factor. My committed investment was only my time.

Here are the results...Please note that I invested minimal effort in setting them up. So your results may vary.

Tags: 

Pages

Subscribe to KWGiffen & Associates RSS